Make etched glass using the Silhouette machine (Photo courtesy of Silhouette)
A while ago, the good folks over at the crafting blog How Does She? asked me if I wanted to test and review a Silhouette craft cutter.
“A what?” was my response.
As it turns out, a Silhouette Digital Cutter is one of the coolest crafting inventions I’ve ever seen. Seriously.
Silhouette was nice enough to send me one for free, along with all the bells and whistles I’d need to use it. (Thank you!!!)
Here’s my machine:
And the best part? I’m giving one away! Read on for a review and details on how to enter.
Back up, Mouse: What’s a Silhouette Digital Cutter?
OK, so basically, this machine is a precision cutter for paper and paper-like material (including vinyl, etc.).
It works just like a computer printer, but instead of printing your picture, it slices it out with a miniature blade, just like a tiny desktop ninja.
Silhouette machine (computer not included in prize) (Photo courtesy of Silhouette)
Remember when you were in grammar school and you used to make paper snowflakes? It’s that sort of thing, but so, so much cooler.
How does it work?
It’s really pretty easy to use. Install a little software on your computer (it works with Macs and Windows boxes). Connect the cutter to your computer with a USB cord (included).
Launch the software, use it to create your design (like you would using MS Paint or Photoshop). The software also comes with a bunch of pre-loaded designs, if you’re not moved by the Muses.
When you’re happy with your design, hit the CUT button, and the machine will do the rest. It’s that easy.
Use the Silhouette machine to make vinyl wall decals. (Photo courtesy of Silhouette.)
What can it make?
Mouse, you’re a cook! What do you care about making crafts?
Hehe, that’s a very good question. This is actually going to be immensely helpful for me. I give a lot of homemade gifts throughout the year, and I’m really excited to use it to make fun packaging. And, if I can get my act together, you know I’ll be making my own Hungry Mouse T-shirts. (Anyone interested?)
You can use the Silhouette machine in a zillion different ways, including to make:
- Labels for jars and canned goods
- Iron-ons for clothing
- Etched glass
- Scrapbook pages
- Vinyl decor for your walls
- Temporary tattoos
Want some inspiration? Check out what crafters are making on Silhouette’s Flickr page.
Use the Silhouette machine to make temporary tattoos. (Photo courtesy of Silhouette.)
I’ll be posting an in-depth tutorial on how to use the software and the machine early next week.
The prize package: Silhouette Digital Cutting Tool
You can enter to win a Silhouette Machine (a $299.99 value). The prize includes:
- 1 Silhouette machine
- Software for Windows XP/Vista, Mac
- Power cable, USB cable
- 2 Cutting mats (one for thick media, one for thin media)
- One cutting blade
- $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
How to Enter to Win
Alrighty, here’s what you have to do to enter to win. Take a peek at Silhouette’s site, then leave a comment on this post that answers the following question:
If you won, what would you use your Silhouette Digital Cutter to make?
That’s it. (No really, that’s all you have to do to enter!)
- You must enter a valid e-mail address on the comment form. (That’s how we’ll contact you if you win.)
- Only one entry per person.
- This contest is open to U.S. residents only.
- Deadline for entries is Midnight (EST) on Thursday, September 30, 2010.
One winner will be chosen on Friday, September 31 by random number generator and notified by e-mail.
The winner will receive one Silhouette Machine, including software for Windows XP/Vista, Mac, 1 power cable, a USB cable, 2 Cutting mats (one for thick media, one for thin media), 1 cutting blade, a $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store. The prize package has an approximate retail value of $299.99.
Two Fabulous Money-Saving Promotions
If you can’t wait to see if you won and absolutely have to have one, like, right now (and I don’t blame you, this thing is awesome), use the following codes for special savings.
1) Code = “AWESOME PROMO” (valid from September 23, 2010 – September 30, 2010 at midnight EST)
Buy a machine for $249.99 and receive the following (a savings of $137.97! Just think of how much you’ll save on gift giving this year…):
- $50 off the Silhouette Craft Cutter
- fuzzy white vinyl (Valued at $7.99)
- light blue smooth heat transfer (Valued at 14.99)
- yellow flocked heat transfer (Valued at $14.99)
- Home Décor CD (Valued at $50)
- $10 Gift Card to the Silhouette Download Store (comes in the box)
- Cutting Blade (comes in the box)
- 2 Cutting Mats (comes in the box)
2) Code = “GOOD PROMO” (valid from October 1, 2010 – October 4, 2010 at midnight EST)
Buy a machine for $249.99 and receive the following (a savings of $79.98):
- $50 off (receive for $249.99)
- 2 rolls of Heat transfer ($29.89 value)
- $10 Gift Card to the Silhouette Download Store(Comes in the Box)
- Cutting Blade (comes in the Box)
- 2 Cutting Mats (comes in the Box)
Thanks again for entering! This is one seriously cool machine. My wheels are spinning already with ideas for holiday gifts…